Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Life is fleeting...

Earlier today, I learned that a friend, a guy that I’ve known for a little over a year, passed away suddenly on 10-April. Out of respect for the family, I won’t say his name here, but I will say that he was a bright soul who LOVED helping students, particularly underrepresented students in healthcare and medicine, achieve their goals. When he found out that I was applying to medical school as a 49-year-old non-traditional, he was excited, maybe even more so than me. When I got that first acceptance, he was one of the first to congratulate me. Personally, I was thrilled to see a Black man, my age, inhabiting the medical school admissions and consulting space.

His passing is another reminder for me to not allow myself to be consumed by my goals. I’m glad that I had the opportunity to speak to my friend one last time a few weeks before his passing and I’m glad that I’ll have the memory of that conversation forever. To anyone reading this, please take time to enjoy your lives and the people in it. While striving for our goals is a necessary and commendable thing, those whom we love may not always be there to celebrate with us. When they are gone, they are gone. Make the most of the time that you have with them while you have it…

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Unmasking Structural Racism in U.S." by Daryl O. Traylor et al.

"Unmasking Structural Racism in U.S." by Daryl O. Traylor, Eboni E. Anderson et al. : The COVID pandemic cast a harsh light on the...