Saturday, August 21, 2021

Resillience

My first year in college I earned a 1.678 GPA.

I started my studies at Texas Southern University in the fall of 1989. In this time before the dawn of the 90s, rap & hip hop were coming into their own and TSU hosted several concerts: Heavy D, The Geto Boys, Queen Latifah, and Biz Markie just to name a few. I spent almost every night partying, going to football practice, seldom studying, and I was dealing with some heavy trauma from my parents separation and eventual bitter divorce. I ended up having to leave TSU as I lost my football scholarship, and I enlisted in the Army. Over the years, I matured and I ended up doing relatively well in college after I returned to finish my undergraduate studies in 2005. I even landed on the Dean's List six straight semesters.

I was finally accepted to medical school last year (just wrapped up week number 4) and at this stage of my life, I know exactly who I am, what I want, and I am undeterred. As I have grown in age and wisdom, I am much better equipped to handle life’s stressors. As a result, I am performing well in my classes to this point, despite having to attend school during a global pandemic.

I say all of that to say this: keep going. When life comes at you hard, when you feel like a failure, when you want to give up, don't stop. And if you are someone who didn't quite chase your dreams early on, it's never too late start chasing them. With age comes wisdom and a determination that most rarely grasp onto in our youth. So go back to school. Apply to medical school. Apply for the job. Do the damn thing. I will be here cheering you on!

#osteopathicmedicine #medicalstudent #resilience

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Unmasking Structural Racism in U.S." by Daryl O. Traylor et al.

"Unmasking Structural Racism in U.S." by Daryl O. Traylor, Eboni E. Anderson et al. : The COVID pandemic cast a harsh light on the...