Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Tips to help get through the 1st year of medical school

As I'm gearing up for the start of my new academic year as a medical student, I've spent some time thinking about what helped me get through my recently-completed PhD and I figured that these tips will be useful in helping to get me (and you) through my first year of medical school:

  1. - Establish a set sleep schedule and avoid caffeine or eating right before going to bed. TBH, I need to avoid all caffeine as I developed a minor abnormal heart rhythm due to the excess consumption of caffeine.
  2. - Eat breakfast and make sure to drink plenty of water.
  3. - Look into a gym membership and, establish a regular work out routine. I just jined the Planet Fitness down the street from school and have a 40 minute, three day weekley weight training routine followed by 20 minutes of cardio. On the days that I do not lift, I will do 30-45 minutes of cardio.
  4. - Be realistic with when and how often to study so as not to overwhelm myself.
  5. - Keep in touch with my support system and know when to ask for help. Easy to do as my wife and I live together and the rest of my most important family is just down the road in Houston.
  6. - Practice some form of self-care daily.
  7. - Practice self-compassion.
  8. - See my doctor about my mental AND physical health when I need to.
  9. - Pay attention to my spiritual health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Unmasking Structural Racism in U.S." by Daryl O. Traylor et al.

"Unmasking Structural Racism in U.S." by Daryl O. Traylor, Eboni E. Anderson et al. : The COVID pandemic cast a harsh light on the...