Saturday, January 2, 2021

What has humility gotten me?

I think that one of the things that has allowed me to grow as a student has been a spirit of humility. Humility requires that you give up pride, envy, arrogance, and selfishness. Humility has given me the power to embrace failure as an opportunity to grow as opposed to feeling like I must constantly impress my peers. Humility has allowed me to realize that seeking help and looking for answers outside of myself is OK. I seek people who have walked in my shoes and been where I am going to serve as guides and mentors. Being willing to listen and mentored has smoothed my path to being a husband, university faculty, a PhD student, and soon, a medical student. Having humility allows me to treat life as a journey worth living as opposed to a race that I need to finish. My path has not been straight or easy but I’ve learned and grown from the journey and am much richer for the experiences that I have had. I also realize that the world does not revolve around me and I freely accept my position in what ultimately is God’s giant masterplan. I think that humility will allow me to value and respect the criticisms and opinions of my peers. I spend more time listening, thinking, and analyzing as opposed to complaining. Humility also does not allow me to celebrate the failures of others and instead, I try to lift up my peers. I also celebrate their triumphs. I take no joy in being right or being the first to finish; my joy comes from helping others grow and succeed while I honor God for giving me the opportunity to be a guide to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Unmasking Structural Racism in U.S." by Daryl O. Traylor et al.

"Unmasking Structural Racism in U.S." by Daryl O. Traylor, Eboni E. Anderson et al. : The COVID pandemic cast a harsh light on the...