Monday, December 14, 2020

It's official: My medical school home will be...

It's official. I will be an OMS I at A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine, Arizona in the fall of 2021! :-) It was a tough decision. There is a LOT that I like about Rocky Vista University School of Osteopathic Medicine and I felt so at home during the interview; however, the final major determining factor for me was the cost of living in the Denver Metropolitan area. While rents and home prices are rapidly rising in the Phoenix Valley, they are still substantially lower than in Denver. Plus, Arizona was home for 16 years (2004 - 2020) so it will be comforting to go back to something that feels comfortable. The other thing that swayed me to ATSU is the 1 + 3 curricular model. I had the chance to attend a 'DO for A Day" event at SOMA about 10 years ago and the way that lectures are delivered fits me and the way that I like to recieve information. I also tend to be a more independent learner and the online learning modality in the OMS II year doesn't bother me. There was a lot that I liked about RVUCOMs curriculum as well but in the end, I just felt that being in a more structured, lecture-based curriculum was not best for me. One of my mentors and friends who taught me physical biochemistry some years ago also agreed as she knows how I like to learn.

So, I was given my first choice of Community Health Center (CHC), El Rio in Tucson, so it's also nice to know exactly where I will be for my OMS II through IV year. All in all, I could not be happier with the decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Unmasking Structural Racism in U.S." by Daryl O. Traylor et al.

"Unmasking Structural Racism in U.S." by Daryl O. Traylor, Eboni E. Anderson et al. : The COVID pandemic cast a harsh light on the...